Vacation is a time to relax and forget about responsibilities at home. Prevent worry and keep your home safe during your vacation with this home preparation checklist:
Take steps to make your home look lived-in
- Have your interior lights run by a timer.
- Have a neighbor get your mail and take out the trash on collection day.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed.
- Install a motion-activated sensor flood light outside your home.
Take electrical and plumbing precautions
- Make sure to turn all electrical appliances off before leaving.
- Unplug appliances to prevent damage from an electrical power surge.
- Turn off water valves to the washing machine, dishwasher, and sinks.
General home preparation tips
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely shut and locked.
- Leave your contact information with a trusted neighbor, informing them you will be away.
- Remove and dispose of perishable foods from the refrigerator.
- Take out the garbage.
- Make arrangements for the care of your pets.
- Make sure smoke detectors are working properly.