Swimming pools are a great way to have fun and stay cool in the summertime. With a pool comes the responsibility of ensuring its safety for others and the task of maintaining it. These tips can help you maintain a safe environment while keeping cool in the pool.
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
- Make sure the pool is surrounded by a fence with a locking entrance. This is necessary to prevent children from accessing the pool while it is unsupervised.
- Create pool rules, such as: no electrical appliances near the pool, no diving in a pool that isn’t deep enough, and no running on the pool deck.
- Be aware of each child’s swimming capabilities.
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or near it.
- Make sure life preservers are kept near the pool at all times.
Pool Maintenance Tips
- Store chemicals away from the pool area where children cannot access them.
- Check above ground pools for rust on the metal supports. Rust could be an indication that the pool could rupture and become unsafe for use.
- Make sure all handrails and ladders are fastened securely.
- Make sure your pool has the proper drain covers installed, and regularly check them for breaks.